Websites for Self-Publishing
When self-publishing your own book, there are many things to think about. Below are some websites that will help you in the self-publishing process. If you are unsure of what is involved feel free to contact us for advice, coaching, and mentorship. We can also handle the entire self-publishing process for you.
- US Copyright Office: your first stop in registering your work. Take your time and make sure you are filling out the right form. Submit it online for faster service.
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data: A Cataloging in Publication record (aka CIP data) is a bibliographic record prepared by the Library of Congress for a book that has not yet been published.
- Pre-Pub Book Link- provide quality prepublication data to publishers
- Book Industry Study Group (BISAC Codes): subject heading codes for authors to best categorize their titles under the categories which best describe the book's subject. Make sure your first one represents your book the closest. Don't use "/General" listings. Dig deeper and try to use all 3 codes.
- Nielsen BookScan UK & Ireland: keeps track of sales information for book titles and compiles that data for the industry in a variety of ways for all players in the industry.
- Bowker: the leading provider of global book information and decision-support solutions through services that promote an efficient supply chain to publishers, booksellers, and libraries. AKA, a place to register your title, get ISBNs and barcodes all under one roof. Identifier Services: if you need to purchase ISBNs this is the place to go.
- ISBN 13/10 Converter: an ISBN converter for those looking to keep track of both 10 digits and 13 digit ISBNs. Amazon uses the 10 digit one but calls it ASIN.
- U.S. Trademark Office: the agency which can register your mark. Be careful with the forms to make sure they cover your mark as best as possible. Great directions and samples on the site to assist with these intimidating forms.
- The Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) is a not-for-profit organization serving the publishing community including independent publishers, self-published authors, small presses and mid-sized publishers.
- Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) is a global, non-profit association for writers who self-publish books. It was created for the new independent, entrepreneurial author, with a focus on supporting the author and their journey through the excellence and ethics in self-publishing.